Thursday, July 9, 2009

Physics Nerds :D -- My tutor couldn't get this -.-? (Choosing Best Answer) =)?

A small sphere with a charge of -0.60 x 10^-6 C is placed in a uniform electric field of magnitude 1.2x10^6 N/C pointing to the west. What is the magnitude and direction of the force on the sphere due to the electric field?





I would appreciate it if you could show your work and explain. Thanks!

Physics Nerds :D -- My tutor couldn't get this -.-? (Choosing Best Answer) =)?
I think this is relatively easy. The electric force is equal to the charge times the electric field. Fe=q(E). This is because the electric field is defined as the elctric force that acts on a small positive charge. That can be said as E=(Fe/q). It can then be rewritten in the form I gave you earlier Fe=q(E). I get -.72 Newtons here. the negative sign indicates it is a repulsive force. This is because your charge is neg and your field is positive so this indicates the force will be in the direction of east.

daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment