Sunday, July 12, 2009

What is molecular weight?

What is molecular weight and how do I find it?





for: Cl, F, I, Br, O, N, K, Na, H, Ba, Ca, C





My chemistry tutor told me to find the molecular weights for those, but I don't really understand.








Please and thanks in advance.

What is molecular weight?
just look in the periodic table of elements thats in your chemistry book and find the symbol and look at the mass. dont forget to start your inegen. the chemicals that end in 'ine' and 'gen' like chlorINE or nitroGEN make molecules that are called diatoms so you have to multiply their periodic table mass x 2.
Reply:Those are atomic symbols for elements with atomic weights. Cl=35.5, F=19, I=127, etc. Some of them occur as diatomic molecules: Cl2=71 F2=38 I2=254, etc. But others do not: K=39 Ca=40 Na=23. Then there are the molecular weights of compounds of these: NaCl=58.5, CaCl2=111, CCl4=154, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment